Love Will Guide Us
Welcome to Religious Exploration 2012-2013!
Download 2012-2013 class information
Visit our brochure – Click here
Programs for Children and Youth
Thomas Jefferson Unitarian Church offers religious education programs for children and youth (CYRE) that hold participants in love, ignite their passion for justice, and satisfy their need to know more deeply the diversity and wholeness of our Unitarian Universalist faith.
CYRE at TJ is focused on shining a light on the path as we guide young people through a process of religious becoming rather than on telling them what they must believe.
CYRE at TJ is rooted in our seven principles and our sources, and intentionally works to reflect the mission statement of our church. The Lifespan Religious Exploration Committee supports the value of an integrated program where these major threads are interwoven:
- UU identity- Principles and sources, our heritage and history (who are we and where do we come from?)
- Spiritual development – Feelings of wonder, awe, mystery, a sense of the sacred, experience of transcendence, sense of being part of something larger, spiritual mindfulness, spiritual practices
- Ethical development- Living our values and principles, making the world a better place, good citizenship of wider communities, stewardship of our religious community, stewardship of the Earth
- Faith development (growing in faith together)- Making meaning and finding purpose, acting on values, reflecting on action, exploring Big Religious Questions, exploring and articulating theology, philosophy, and beliefs
A family handbook with more extensive information is available in printed form at the church. The Director of Lifespan RE, Barb Friedland, welcomes opportunities to talk with families to provide more information. (Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephone at 425-6943)
- Families who will participate in the CYRE program need to register annually.
- Visiting families are asked to complete an information form as part of our safe congregation policy.
- New families may visit and participate fully on three Sundays before completion of a CYRE registration form is needed.
- 2012-2013 registration forms will be available on August 5th at the church and online at www.tjuc.org. Families who register by Mingling of the Waters Sunday on August 19th will be part of a prize drawing!
- TJUC’s CYRE program functions like a cooperative and we are grateful for the support and participation of our many volunteers. All families are expected to support the program by volunteering to the best of their ability. Please explore how you will help during the new program year.
- There is no fee to participate in the CYRE program, however donations of supplies and materials are requested at times.
- All CYRE groups above the nursery level practice an offering ritual, which is given to an appropriate organization that fits TJ’s mission. Parents are asked to support the importance of learning about generosity by supporting their children’s and youth participation in group offering rituals.
Sunday Morning Routine
- Young people in our Kindergarten through High School groups begin each Sunday in the Sanctuary with their families for the opening parts of the services.
- Children in the Preschool 3s and 4s group may go directly to their room.
- Children and youth will go from the Sanctuary to their meeting rooms with their guide teams after the beginning portion of the service.
- CYRE groups will end at 12:30 pm, except on the first Sunday of each month, when potluck lunch is scheduled. On those Sundays, CYRE ends at 12:15 pm.
- Children from nursery through 3rd grade must be picked up from their meeting rooms by a parent or other responsible adult at the end of classes at 12:30 pm. Please be prompt in picking up children so that RE group leaders may enjoy coffee hour. (Exception on Potluck Sundays.)
- Children and youth in all other groups will be allowed to leave their meeting rooms to meet their families at 12:30 pm. (Exception on Potluck Sundays.)
- Please remember that RE time is planned to end at 12:30 pm, regardless of occasions when the service ends early. Please avoid picking children up before 12:30 pm so that the groups are not disrupted and may derive the most benefit from their Religious Exploration experiences. (Exception on Potluck Sundays.)