Social Justice Committee
The Social Justice Committee of TJUC is dedicated to creating a just, equitable and compassionate society by:
- helping others achieve their goals and improve their lives
- promoting equal rights and opportunities for all people
- creating opportunities for individual and community growth through education and action
We participate in a variety of activities locally and nationally such as:
- Eastern Area Community Ministry’s Neighborhood Visitors Program
- Repair Affair
- Have A Heart Christmas Program
- Project Warm
- 40203 pre-school support
- Black Lives Matter
- US Peace Memorial Foundation
You are invited to join us at any of these activities:
Led by SJC, TJUC has participated in Louisville’s Repair Affair since 2001. This program helps low-income elderly and disabled homeowners in the Louisville Metropolitan Area to do needed home repairs.
Since 2004, the SJC has led TJ members in helping qualified homeowners winterize their homes through Project Warm. This included insulating windows, doors, open spaces in the home, and other weatherizing techniques.
Black Lives Matter
At the 2015 Congregational Meeting, a motion was passed to post a Black Lives Matter sign in support of the fair treatment of African Americans in the light of the fact that the struggle for this continues.
US Peace Memorial Foundation
The US Peace Memorial Foundation honors Americans who stand for peace by publishing the US Peace Registry, awarding an annual Peace Prize, and planning for the US Peace Memorial in Washington, DC. These educational projects help move the US toward a culture of peace.
EACM & its Neighborhood Visitor Program
Under the leadership of the Social Justice Committee, TJUC contributes to the NVP’s food closet every January. The congregation provides Thanksgiving baskets to EACM during the holidays. The committee also conducts collections of diapers and back-to-school supplies during the year that benefit EACM clients.
- Operation Brightside
- Interfaith Power and Light
Social Justice Actions
- Jobs with Justice
- Metropolitan Housing Coalition
- Kentucky Religious Coalition for Reproductive Rights
- Unitarian Universalist Service Committee (UUSC) Justice Sunday
- Kentuckians for the Commonwealth
- Fairness Campaign
- 40203 Support to preschool and mini-versities through the Louisville Central Community Center
- Conduct Special fund raising collections 3 times per year